Re: [Adonthell-general] Rules update

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Rules update
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:05:38 +0200

On 02 Apr 2002 22:35:10 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Here is a revision of the rules. I changed the skills a little bit,
> > and added descriptions. I do not think we should worry about balance
> > too much because as the game development progresses new situations
> > for new skills will appear. Because of that I changed the table, so
> > that every race can gain 5 ranks in every skill. When we know which
> > skills will make it into the game, we'll adjust that. The only thing
> > that matters is that the skills are balanced in the final game.
> > Nevertheless ideas for more skills are always welcome.
>
> Looks very good! :) The tables in particular are very clear. All in
> all, it's easy to understand, sounds realistic while being original
> and looks quite professional (a bit like AD&D books - don't forget the
> Math formulas when time will come ;p) Hope to see someone implementing
> these rules soon!

I have thought a little about implementation details. I guess a simple
python module that consists of a table with the maximum ranks each race
can gain and the ability to query individual attribute/race combinations
is all it takes.

As far as I can see, we only need this information when the character
reaches a new level, cause that's where new points are distributed.
Maybe it's also needed for displaying the character stats.

Other than that we only need to store the current values with the
individual characters. That's not a problem. Then of course we need to
implement stuff that makes use of these values. I already gave an
example for the entertain skill. Things like body control and climb (not
sure if that should be two different skills) would influence things like
a character's speed, how high or far he can jump and how much damage he
takes when falling down. Not sure if we can really seperate that from
the engine (without significant loss of performance). Maybe we can have
an 'jump' or 'drop' event that is called when the jump button gets
pressed or the character reaches the ground after a fall.

Things like diplomacy or charm are merely used in dialogues. The first
makes NPCs react more helpful/friendly, latter offers additional choices
for the player.

Disarming traps and picking locks is related to items.

[...]

I'd volunteer to code the basic stuff and the GUI needed to distribute
points/view the stats. Of course, that has to wait until the new window
system is complete. But as I know Joel, that won't take long once he has
time :). In the meantime I'll try to come up with a design proposal.
Something that fits with the proposal James made a while back, so our
GUI stays consistent.