Re: [Adonthell-general] Character Stats

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Character Stats
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 19:54:47 +0200

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:30:40 +0200 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I came up with a rough draft of the character stats, as well as with
> basic combot mechanics. Here is my idea. The four types of stats are
> Strength, Dexterity, Toughness and Willpower. Each of these has a
> value between 1 and 10. A character starts with only a few points in
> each of these stats and when he gains levels he gets more points to
> raise his stats (see experience).

Huh? I thought the stats shouldn't be visible to the player. Instead,
raising skills or abilities, certain items and temporary effects would
change them.

> The following table explains the
> effects each of the stats has as, while further down I will explain
> the combat mechanics.

They seem mostly fine to me. The only thing I would change is the
willpower. I don't think that magic attack rating and magic resistance
should depend on the same stat.

Magic resistance is a partly 'natural' thing, I think. Something that
cannot be trained as such but is more a feature of a character, like ...
uh ... his hair colour. Of course there would be a mental component as
well.

Magic attack rating OTOH seems to me something that only depends on
training. Further it is something that is limited to mages, while every
creature may have some magic resistance.

To come back to the issue above: wouldn't it be better to leave those 4
'base stats' away and derive the actual stats directly from a
character's skills and abilities?

That would give some extra use to some skills (or even allows for some
additional skills) while limiting the attributes the player can
influence to those we already have. (Which are absolutely fine).

> The way combat works is the following: First a character has to hit a
> monster, than he has to damage it (and vice versa).

Looks okay to me.

> For magic attacks I would suggest that some (mostly enchantments and
> the likes) use 50% + Magic attack rating - opponent's Magic
> resistance, while others that deal damage directly should be handled
> just like weapons (ignoring armour where this is appropriate).
> Other stats such as fire resistance, movement speed increases or
> attack speed increases, can not be gained with level advances, instaed
> they must be gained by using spells, magic items, fighting feats and
> the likes.

Yep, sounds sensible.