Re: [Adonthell-general] CD distros

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] CD distros
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:30:49 +0200

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:18:45 -0500 (CDT) Andrew Michael Phillips wrote:

> I had been thinking about the CD distribution thing on my own, mostly
> because I think it would be cool to have the music all in one place,
> along with Waste's Edge and possibly the v0.1 and v0.2 releases.
> Keeping an updated library on the discs might be harder.

That's true. OTOH, the library is rather small compared to music and the
actual game. So you could just keep a pointer to the website on the CD.

> How difficult is it to port to WinDOS code which has been written for
> Linux? It seems like compiling the same code in a Win32 environment
> wouldn't work. It sounds too simple.

Well, v0.1 wouldn't work I fear, as it's using ggi as graphics backend
which isn't really portable AFAIK. v0.2 might be easier. Unlike v0.3
it's rather simple and uses a few libraries only. I guess Alex could
cross-compile it pretty much out of the box.

> Anyway, back on topic. I'd be using the discs both for myself and as
> promotional items. I probably wouldn't be selling them, since for one
> thing, I'd have to sell a few hundred thousand of them to seriously
> defray the cost of a round-trip flight to Europe.

True, financing a trip with that stuff is a little utopian.  But giving
some CDs to friends and such would already be cool.

Remains the question about the audio part. I have compiled 60 minutes of
Adonthell music, but I'm not sure how I could get that to you. Maybe if
I'd rip it and put the .ogg files somewhere. But that would have to wait
until I'm back at uni (probably not before october).

As an alternative, I can tell you what I did and you can recreate the
audio part from scratch.