[Adonthell-general] CD distros

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: [Adonthell-general] CD distros
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:18:45 -0500 (CDT)

I had been thinking about the CD distribution thing on my own, mostly
because I think it would be cool to have the music all in one place, along
with Waste's Edge and possibly the v0.1 and v0.2 releases. Keeping an
updated library on the discs might be harder.

How difficult is it to port to WinDOS code which has been written for
Linux? It seems like compiling the same code in a Win32 environment
wouldn't work. It sounds too simple. There's all that nonsense with dlls
for one thing, etc etc ad nauseam. I'm not sure it would be a good use of
time to be building Win32 binaries for (really) old versions. However, I
just thought of a way I might use them. Port them to Win32, carry the
various versions around on a CD and play with them in the computer labs.
Three of my four CS classes will be in a lab, so there'd be a good chance
of it getting noticed.

I have, by the by, run into problem with v.2. I need to try it again and
pipe my error messages so I can get help with them.

Anyway, back on topic. I'd be using the discs both for myself and as
promotional items. I probably wouldn't be selling them, since for one
thing, I'd have to sell a few hundred thousand of them to seriously defray
the cost of a round-trip flight to Europe.

Comments?

Andrew

--
All that is gold does not glitter,