[Adonthell-general] Items

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Items
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 17:28:09 -0500 (CDT)

My thoughts on items and weapons are still somewhat general. The first one
is actually a question: How expansive should the list of weapons for v0.4
be? It seems to me that for a tech demo, even a really well written tech
demo, we needn't have every possible weapon done out in art and stats.
That might take our art folks forever, since if we're going to do truly
animated fights, all those weapons have to be drawn in action.

My proposal is that we choose a few basic weapon types, decide how they
work, and take a moderate sample of those for v0.4.
For example:
Small axes
Small swords
Light maces
Staves (both simple wooden staves and fancy magical staves)
Light bows
And of course, magic versions of all of these

As far as potions, I think that list should also be small, including
healing potions, potions of blindness (throwable, for getting out of
fights without actually killing), poisons, potions of sleep, etc. I'm at a
loss, though, about what would go into these various potions.

Marcella might also learn a few songs and perhaps a spell of healing from
Ella, which would more or less replace her creation of or dependence on
potions, since I imagine that an Elven healing spell, even a simple one,
would do quite a bit more than even a moderately effective potion.

Thoughts?

Andrew

--
All that is gold does not glitter,