Re: [Adonthell-general] Items

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Items
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:09:44 +0200

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:15:20 +0200 Benjamin Walther-Franks wrote:

> > As far as potions, I think that list should also be small, including
> > healing potions, potions of blindness (throwable, for getting out of
> > fights without actually killing), poisons, potions of sleep,
> > etc. I'm at a
> > loss, though, about what would go into these various potions.

I guess we can have different herbs and minerals that can be found in
the wild or bought off the Dwarves or people like Solmanus.

> > Marcella might also learn a few songs and perhaps a spell of
> > healing from
> > Ella, which would more or less replace her creation of or
> > dependence on
> > potions, since I imagine that an Elven healing spell, even a
> > simple one,
> > would do quite a bit more than even a moderately effective potion.
>
> I think we should give that point some thought. In any case, it should
> be really hard for the player to get that knowledge of other races
> special abilities, since it's something really, well, special. Maybe
> only if Marcella really pursues her roots and the doings of her mother
> (e.g. chat a lot with the witch and get high in her favour - plus some
> other related task).

She also mustn't do anything evil, I'd say. That should make it quite
hard for people to receive this knowledge.

> But we should consider not making that option available at all in 0.4.
> I mean, if people see this cross-blending of special abilities in the
> demo, what will they expect from 1.0?

This probably depends on how hard it is to gain these abilities. I think
both in 0.4 and 1.0 this should require great devotion to a faction and
lots of disciplin. In other words, it should be _really_ rare.

Another point is: what is so special about an Elven healing spell?
That's practically nothing. In 1.0, cross-blending might open the way to
much more impressive spells and abilities. If we allow that in 0.4, we
can still top it in 1.0, I think.

> Also, I think the player will
> already have quite a lot of choices concerning specabs - don't forget
> mechanics! With the player being able to decide between the good and
> the evil path (s)he should also be able to decide wether to take the
> mystical or technical path. Not that you need to add or change
> anything to your writing on Marcella, Andrew, we should just leave it
> up to the player what to do. By saying that Marcella is eager to
> learn, this can be anything - alchemy, mechanics or just plain combat
> moves.

Hm. I agree that there are plenty of choices already. But some more
wouldn't hurt, would they?

All in all I think this is more a matter of time. For the beginning we
should concentrate on the things we really need. But if we have the
opportunity to include a song or spell, we can do it without causing
much harm, I think.