RE: [Adonthell-general] Items

From: Benjamin Walther-Franks
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-general] Items
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:15:20 +0200

Yaay, can't wait ;)

> My proposal is that we choose a few basic weapon types,
> decide how they
> work, and take a moderate sample of those for v0.4.
> For example:
> Small axes
> Small swords
> Light maces
> Staves (both simple wooden staves and fancy magical staves)
> Light bows
> And of course, magic versions of all of these

Yeah, we should definately keep it simple and the list reduced, we can
always add to that.

> As far as potions, I think that list should also be small, including
> healing potions, potions of blindness (throwable, for getting out of
> fights without actually killing), poisons, potions of sleep,
> etc. I'm at a
> loss, though, about what would go into these various potions.
>
> Marcella might also learn a few songs and perhaps a spell of
> healing from
> Ella, which would more or less replace her creation of or
> dependence on
> potions, since I imagine that an Elven healing spell, even a
> simple one,
> would do quite a bit more than even a moderately effective potion.

I think we should give that point some thought. In any case, it should be
really hard for the player to get that knowledge of other races special
abilities, since it's something really, well, special. Maybe only if
Marcella really pursues her roots and the doings of her mother (e.g. chat a
lot with the witch and get high in her favour - plus some other related
task).

But we should consider not making that option available at all in 0.4. I
mean, if people see this cross-blending of special abilities in the demo,
what will they expect from 1.0? Also, I think the player will already have
quite a lot of choices concerning specabs - don't forget mechanics! With the
player being able to decide between the good and the evil path (s)he should
also be able to decide wether to take the mystical or technical path. Not
that you need to add or change anything to your writing on Marcella, Andrew,
we should just leave it up to the player what to do. By saying that Marcella
is eager to learn, this can be anything - alchemy, mechanics or just plain
combat moves.

Well, just my opinion, what do the others say?

BEN