[Adonthell-general] Re: RPMS - anyone tested them? :P

From: Mattias Päivärinta
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Re: RPMS - anyone tested them? :P
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 00:39:31 +0200

Hi guys!
Gotta say you're doing a great work! I'm a fan :)

I'm very worried 'cause I see that many many people are downloading the
latest release's RPMs. They have been built on a Debian, and have not
been tested neither on Mandrake, neither on RedHat, neither on Suse. If
a user of these distros has (un)successfully installed and played with
the RPMs, can he say so? Maybe we have disappointing lots of people
because some libraries aren't the same on others systems!

I have some reports on Gentoo 1.2.

First I tried the build script, but it tried to install another copy of ogg, so I gave it up and installed manually and that went as smooth as anything. Why don't you add a few tests to the build script for SDL and stuff? If it's already in there's no need to install another copy.. I also noticed the creation of a strange root directory. Is it really supposed to be there? (not that it matters much anyway)

Just for the fun of it I tried to install by source rpm.
The --rebuild went just fine, but -i couldn't find _any_ libraries and refused to install even with --force. It probably didn't find my libraries because I installed them through portage, but it's still stupid as configure found everything. By then I decided that I don't like rpm and threw it out all together..

So I guess the conclusion is that Adonthell runs like a charm on Gentoo, but rpm sucks ;)

Keep on rockin!
Mattias