Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell 0.3.6 beta

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell 0.3.6 beta
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 21:35:17 +0200

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Joe Dalton <address@hidden> wrote:

> The original look very »thick«.
>
> Perhaps https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Lobster
> could be useful
>
> like Cardo by the way

Will have to run some tests these days, and upload some screenshots for comparison. I also looked further through the Google listing and unearthed

https://fonts.google.colistingm/specimen/Aclonica and
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Berkshire+Swash

One if under the Open Font License, the other under Apache 2.0, which also should be fine with Debian, according to https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#The_Apache_Software_License_.28ASL.29
Both are closer to the original than any others that were proposed before, including Cardo.

> Wesnoth has a solution where the translator can choose the font (could be nice for extended translation possibilities)
>
> https://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesnothTranslationsHowTo

That's a really clever way of handling fonts. I'll have to take a closer look at their code, as I guess they need to have some list of directories they search for fonts. That part would be beneficial, as right now one has to configure a custom font with a full path in order for Adonthell to pick it up. Having a platform-specific list of system font directories to search would make that a bit easier.

As for alternative fonts that might be required for certain translations, I'll take care of that when the need arises. Might as well end up doing it the Wesnoth way, though I'd always would want to include the required fonts in the source tarballs and binaries. A distro like Debian might have a copy, but OSX and Windows likely not.