Re: [Aspell-user] Problems with Arabic.

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Problems with Arabic.
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 21:59:18 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Mohammed Sameer wrote:

Hi,

I've created a simple wordlist for Arabic.
It contains +40,000 just to test aspell and Arabic.

Looks like everything is fine with aspell from the command line, But when using abiword or any other graphical tools to generate the suggestions, I find that the suggestions are Latin letters not Arabic words.

I had to encode the files in ISO 8859-6 as aspell didn't accept UTF-8 for the data files. I think this might be the source of the problem but I can't be sure.

Now my question is: How can I force the output from libaspell to be UTF-8 ? I tried the "data-encoding utf-8" in the ar.dat file but it didn't work.

You can't really "force" Aspell to output UTF-8. Aspell will output what every encoding the application ask it to. if it ask's for "utf-8" it will get it.

What encoding is your word list in you used to generate the dictionary? It needs to be in the same encoding the "data-encoding" is in. It can be ISO 8859-6 and Aspell will still output UTF-8 when an application asks for it as Aspell will convert the output to UTF-8.