[Aspell-user] UNSUBSCRIBE

From: athi nambi
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:38:09 -0800 (PST)

Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Mohammed Sameer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've created a simple wordlist for Arabic.
> It contains +40,000 just to test aspell and Arabic.
>
> Looks like everything is fine with aspell from the command line, But
> when using abiword or any other graphical tools to generate the
> suggestions, I find that the suggestions are Latin letters not Arabic
> words.
>
> I had to encode the files in ISO 8859-6 as aspell didn't accept UTF-8
> for the data files. I think this might be the source of the problem but
> I can't be sure.
>
> Now my question is: How can I force the output from libaspell to be
> UTF-8 ? I tried the "data-encoding utf-8" in the ar.dat file but it
> didn't work.

You can't really "force" Aspell to output UTF-8. Aspell will output what
every encoding the application ask it to. if it ask's for "utf-8" it will
get it.

What encoding is your word list in you used to generate the dictionary?
It needs to be in the same encoding the "data-encoding" is in. It can be
ISO 8859-6 and Aspell will still output UTF-8 when an application asks for
it as Aspell will convert the output to UTF-8.