Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell dictionaries for Mac OSX

From: Dan Kenigsberg
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell dictionaries for Mac OSX
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:47:29 +0200

I think you are confusing two different things (please correct me if I'm wrong):
the easy thing is to make Aspell work on you environment of choice. I don't have
Mac myself, but I was told that indeed cocoAspell can load international aspell
dictionaries and make them available to Mac's spelling service.

The hard thing is to actually generate a word list, and make it available to
aspell. Do you already have the list of words in your language? From my
experience (in Hebrew), the task of word collecting is by far the hardest. By
the way, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salishan_languages I gather that it
won't be so easy to generate a complete list of all words in your language(s)
because they are said to be agglutinative (words can be joined to create other
words); maybe it would be easier with hunspell, but I have no clue about that.

Anyway, to sum it up, first and foremost is having a plain list of words. When
you have that, everything else is mostly technicalities.

--
Dan Kenigsberg        http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~danken        ICQ 162180901