[Aspell-user] Is the native Aspell/WIN32 port a lot faster

From: ge
Subject: [Aspell-user] Is the native Aspell/WIN32 port a lot faster
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:33:21 +0200

>>Is the native Aspell/WIN32 port supposed to be a lot faster than simply
invoking aspell via a batch file?  If it is faster, is the time savings
mainly due to not having to "compile" the perl code every time it's
invoked?  Is my question making sense?  Every time I call aspell (either
in a command prompt or from a cobol application on windows), it takes at
least 10 seconds just to present the interface and I am using pretty
good hardware.
<<

Reading in the reference word list takes a long time, when you call aspell from
batch.
Slowlyness has nothing to do with perl code and the like.

To make it fast, create a spell class once, and then simply just use the query
interface at any time, you want to get a word checked. That is how word
processing
programs work.

In C++ this would look:
 1. create the spelling class using the name of the word list.
 2...n: query the word for correctness.

There is also a nice perl interface program for aspell in cpan
http://search.cpan.org/~hank/Text-Aspell/Aspell.pm

Working with that you will understand the aspell programming interface.

-eleonora