bontz-team

Re: [Bontz-team] walls

From: Ryan Wilkinson
Subject: Re: [Bontz-team] walls
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:09:04 -0500

Thought I would introduce myself to the bontz team (probably just Owen). Chuck kept mentioning bontz to me, and he asked me if I wanted to help out with it at least twice a month. In order to appease Chuck, I kept telling him that I would work on it when I had more time and more programming experience. I never did get that extra experience (unless php counts), but I do have more free time this semester, so I thought I would start helping out. I poked around at the code this last weekend, and was happy to find that I could understand most of it, and better yet that I could actually get visual results from a few hours of work. Since I needed a senior seminar project, I decided to choose game programming with SDL. So, now I am sort of committed to the cause if I want to graduate next May.

The menu hack is a bastardization of your old textbox class. I am currently working on getting it to accept either keyboard or mouse input. With Chuck's help I am trying to make the MenuBox class more open, so we could use it for everything from dialog, character inventory, plus regular menus. The surfaces will be interchangeable so our character dialog won't necessarily look the same as our game menus. Also, this might be useful for things such as having a pics of items in the character inventory rather than just text descriptions. Going along with idea of making this game platform independant, I am trying to make the menus workable with either mouse, keyboard, or gamepad.

Random Ideas for Furgason's lab: You could have some caged animals. Maybe just a room filled with caged monkeys or something. How about some sort of 'Igor' hunchback that works for the future Furgason? Also electricity is always cool. So circuit breakers, huge double throw switches, and cables. Some sort of weird boxes plugged into the wall. An oscilloscope that was synced with the background music would be neat, but probably more trouble than its worth. An old Commodore 64 or Apple IIe laying around might be amusing. If we could have a Van De Graph (?sp) generator that Furgason could interact with...If the lab is underground we could have some green ooze running down the walls at random locations. I'm trying to come up with some good Back To the Future reference, but am coming up empty. Lasers. Lasers with mirrors.

I will try to get some NES emulator screenshots for wall and floor tile ideas.

Ryan Wilkinson
Owen Swerkstrom wrote:

First off, Chuck... very nice with the menu hack.  I
haven't explored the code much (and I'm guessing it's
all very temporary anyway) but should I take this as
meaning you're volunteering to take on the menu system
yourself, since I've been slow to do anything about
it?  :^)

I've been trying to come up with some halfway decent
tiles for the lab where Furgason meets his future
creation, Sterdroid.  I've only managed to create very
boring stuff so far.  Have a look and tell me what
lab-looking stuff needs to be added.  Tables with
beakers and equipment and stuff on them I've got (not
shown in this mockup) but in terms of what the floors
and walls should look like to make them less boring,
any advice would be appreciated.  Part of it will be
designing a good layout, of course, but at some point
we're basically going to have the lower half of the
screen be floor and the top half wall that Sterdroid
will come crashing through, so I need some wall and
floor ideas.

The bricks are too big and certainly too tall, I'll
take care of that, and I'm sure I can make the floors
a bit better, but apart from the odd control panel and
crack in the wall, what would walls and floors look
like that were built by a madman and/or his servant
bots in order to protect him from himself?  I must
have written too much code for work in the last couple
days, my creativity's not too good right now.  :^)