discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Beginner's questions about Electric

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Beginner's questions about Electric
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:15:39 -0800

At 01:06 PM 1/7/2009, you wrote:
How can I change the technology of a cell? Up to now, I have edited
its text file!

You can use the "Cell Properties" dialog to examine a cell's technology. This does not change the actual components inside of the cell...it only changes a technology pointer that is associated with the cell. If you want to convert a cell from one layout technology to another, use the "View" menu and convert to an alternate layout technology.

Is it true that a cell can only exist inside a library? I can't seem
to save a cell to the working directory.

This is true. A library is written to disk as a single file, with all of its cells. There are "project management" facilities in Electric that will break a library into single-cell libraries so that each cell is in its own disk file, but that file is still a library file.

Are libraries all writable? I am struggling to stop corrupting one
of the reference libraries copied from the web site.

Can you be more specific.  What steps are you taking and what is the result?

-Steven Rubin