discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Beginner's questions about Electric

From: Graham Petley
Subject: Re: Beginner's questions about Electric
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:08:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi Steven,
> >Are libraries all writable? I am struggling to stop
> >corrupting one of the reference libraries copied from
> >the web site.
>
> Can you be more specific.  What steps are you taking and
> what is the result?
This was connected with attempts to get a "naked" cell
separate from a library. For example, one sequence is
(using my own library pharosc.delib and technology mocmos2).

File>Open Recent Library>/home/graham/electric/pharosc.delib
View>Make Alternate Layout View>mocmos OK
enter pharosc2 for new library name

New window pops up with the original cell but now using mocmos
technology. in this window

File>Save Library

and a message appears in the message window saying pharosc.delib
written (not pharosc2). In fact, I see now that although the cell
in the window is pharosc2:dfnt1x2{lay}, there is also the text

Current library:pharosc.

But in the meantime, the original master library pharosc.delib
has been overwritten...

If you're working with externally supplied libs like the Artisan ones,
you certainly won't want this happening, even accidentally. Maybe the
solution is to set appropriate permissions at the OS level.

Best regards, Graham Petley