[emms-help] Re: EMMS 2 release impending

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emms-help] Re: EMMS 2 release impending
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:57:06 -0400

Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:

> John Sullivan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> There's one minor mpd issue that I just discovered today: when
>>> trying to import items from the MusicPD playlist, very long
>>> playlists will be truncated at around the 30th item.  I'll try to
>>> get a fix in tonight, but feel free to release even if I don't,
>>> since it's not important enough to hold up the release.
>>
>> I'm seeing this with smaller playlists. I add 22 tracks via "mpc
>> add" in the shell. Then I do M-x emms-player-mpd-connect, to sync up
>> the playlist. I only get some of the tracks added to the EMMS
>> playlist. So far it's been anywhere from 5 to 13, and it seems to be
>> random, and it's not necessarily the first n tracks.
>
> I guess 22 would be a more accurate estimate, then.  I tried out a
> quick-and-dirty solution, but it had several unpleasant edge cases
> that involved effectively locking up Emacs.  So I took a look at
> tq.el, and am now re-writing the interface to use closures and
> callbacks.

I've attached the preliminary result from the rewrite.  Nearly
everything I've tested so far seems to work, with the exception of
track info.  Track info is gathered correctly, but it is set "too
late" for the track description function to get to it.

I experimented with adding a call to (emms-track-updated track) to
`emms-info-mpd-1', but the results were painful, so I left it out.  I
might try modifying emms-info to be callback-capable at some point, so
that it can work with emms-info-mpd.

The good thing is that it should never truncate results anymore, and
emms-player-mpd-connect was able to successfully import a 335-line
playlist that I threw at it.

Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Muse, Planner, ERC, EMMS
  /` |\ | | | IRC: mwolson on freenode.net: #hcoop, #muse, #PurdueLUG
 |_] | \| |_| Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net