[fluid-dev] fluidsynth compiles for use with coreaudio!

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth compiles for use with coreaudio!
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 02:48:58 -0500 (CDT)

Dear FluidSynth Developers -

Here is the configure command I used:

./configure -enable-coreaudio
CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/include
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/Headers"
LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib -framework CoreAudio"

I guessed that if I could get fluidsynth to compile for jack on mac using
-framework instead of -l, the samething should work for coreaudio.

Aside from this, I did a little bit of find and grep in the directory
/System/Library/Frameworks/ -- this made my guess a more educated one.

For the record, recall that I needed several changes to various files -- I
didn't make any more changes than previously suggested by Josh.

Ok, this is all fine and good... but the problem I have now is
that both

   clavier -o - | fluidsynth --audio-driver=coreaudio -

   clavier -o - | fluidsynth --audio-driver=coreaudio Unison.SF2 -

(where Unison.SF2 is a free soundfont file I found on the web at
www.personalcopy.com) *do not produce* sound.  Can someone please
help me figure out what to do next?  Do I need to pass a --midi-driver
command to fluidsynth, and if so, what command would you suggest?

Lastly, I noticed the following when I ran make -- maybe these warnings
end up having something to do with the muteness I'm now experiencing? I
totally don't know.

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I./../include -I/sw/include
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/Headers -O2
-fomit-frame\
-pointer -funroll-all-loops -finline-functions -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith
-Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unu\
sed -Winline -c fluid_coreaudio.c -Wp,-MD,.deps/fluid_coreaudio.TPlo
-fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/fluid_coreaudio.lo
fluid_coreaudio.c: In function `new_fluid_core_audio_driver2':

fluid_coreaudio.c:159: warning: passing arg 2 of `AudioDeviceAddIOProc'
from incompatible pointer type
fluid_coreaudio.c:165: warning: passing arg 2 of `AudioDeviceStart' from
incompatible pointer type
fluid_coreaudio.c: In function `delete_fluid_core_audio_driver':

fluid_coreaudio.c:191: warning: passing arg 2 of `AudioDeviceStop' from
incompatible pointer type
fluid_coreaudio.c:192: warning: passing arg 2 of `AudioDeviceRemoveIOProc'
from incompatible pointer type

Joe

PS.  Here are the details of my elementary find and grep algorithm in case
they happen to be helpful later.  Like I said, all this really did was
point me in the right direction, it didn't find anything specifically
helpful in and of itself.  I like it when I learn something useful
you can do with simple command line utilities, so that's another reason
I want to share it.

In the above-mentioned directory,

        find . | grep "Audio.*\.h"  > list

then
        grep -v "html" list > audioh

(I know you should be able to do this all in one go but for some reason I
got an error message when I tried that).  Then

        grep -n "AudioDeviceAddIOProc" <audioh>,

for example, where <audioh> denotes the expansion of the file audioh into
its entries.  I found several occurances of "AudioDeviceAddIOProc" and
similarly also of (most of) the other terms that came up as undefined in
previous attempts to make the file.  This, combined with the advice from
Stephane about how to compile for jack support ("ha ha, he said 'jack
support'") wos enough for me to guess about -framework CoreAudio.