[fluid-dev] no midi on linux

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: [fluid-dev] no midi on linux
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:56:36 -0500

Hi,

It has been a while since I tried to get fluidsynth running on my Mac --
now I am trying on a linux machine (Debian GNU/Linux... don't know how
to get the actual version number without shutting down and restarting).

On my simple first run after building, this is what I got:

clavier -o -| fluidsynth VintageDreamsWaves-v2.sf2 -
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample SineWave: can't use ROM samples
/dev/midi: No such file or directory
Failed to create the MIDI thread; no MIDI input
will be available. You can access the synthesizer
through the console.

Remembering past experiences with Mac OS X, I thought I might
try to install midishare, but I couldn't get it to make,
receiving instead the following message:

make[1]: Entering directory `/root/src/linux/kernel'
gcc -O6 -Wall -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DMODVERSIONS -D__Pentium__
-DCONFIG_KERNELD -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DLINUX  -I/lib/modules/`uname
-r`/build/include/ -I../../common/Headers   -c -o msLoader.o msLoader.c
msLoader.c:38: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [msLoader.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/src/linux/kernel'
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

Any help would be appreciated!

Joe Corneli