Re: [fluid-dev] no midi on linux

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] no midi on linux
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:28:09 -0700

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 16:21, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi!
>   Your midishare problem: I think you'd have to install the proper kernel
> sources and configure them. Maybe you can have a look in your /boot dir and
> find a config file for your actual kernel configuration. At least that's where
> suse keeps it.
>   Did you install alsa properly with midi support (sequencer)?
>   I think it usually works that way:
>   you start fluidsynth and see which port it uses (usually 128 or so), you can
> see this with something like:
>   aconnect -l
>   Then you can use another program - like pmidi - and call it like that:
>   pmidi -p 128:0 file.mid
>   This would mean, that pmidi plays to port 128 (fluidsynth). If you wanna
> play it realtime, you can simply do something like:
>   aconnect 64 128
>   Meaning connect the midiport on your first card (usually 64) to fluidsynth.
> You'll find your hardware midiports as well with aconnect -l.
>   I hope that helps.
>   Kindest regards
>        Julien

Yeah, don't mess with MidiShare if you are using Linux. Get ALSA working
instead. There is lots of info on http://www.alsa-project.org for
getting things running. I'm sure you can probably just "apt-get install
alsa" on Debian? Once ALSA is doing its thing, then you want to
recompile FluidSynth so it knows about ALSA (make sure it does at the
end of the ./configure stage). What would you like to connect to
FluidSynth? External MIDI gear, a sequencer program? Either way, you can
use the ALSA sequencer like Julien suggested. Cheers.
        Josh Green