Re: [fluid-dev] Tuning Standard

From: Dougie McGilvray
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Tuning Standard
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:38:17 +0000

Josh Green wrote:

I was certain there was some MIDI related controls or RPN numbers or
something in FluidSynth for tuning.  But looking through the code I was
unable to find them.  Are you using FluidSynth stand alone or through
some other front end?

We are using FluidSynth directly, with a command file which
automatically loads and assigns sound fonts and tunings. We use Scala to
generate the tuning commands, but these need to be edited manually
before pasting into the main command file. It works well for what we do
just now, but it would be nice to have the process completely automated.

Do you know of any MIDI standards off hand that handle this?

There's a description of the MIDI Tuning Standard in the pages below.
With a tuning API already in FS, presumably it's not too difficult a job
(famous last words;) ) to implement. If noone else wants to, I could
look at it, but it would have to wait a little.

http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tuning.shtml
http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tuning_extens.shtml
http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tuning-scale.shtml

Cheers,