Re: [fluid-dev] New CoreMIDI driver for Mac OSX

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New CoreMIDI driver for Mac OSX
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 11:21:57 -0800

Hi Ebrahim,

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 08:37 -0500, Ebrahim Mayat wrote:
> Hello Pedro
>
> My deep gratitude for the CoreMIDI implementation. I managed to
> compile and run fluidsynth with CoreMIDI.
>

> There are a couple of minor bugs that need to be ironed out.
>

> 1. I had a slight problem checking out the latest sources:
>

> $ svn co https://resonance.org/svn/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth
> Error validating server certificate for 'https://resonance.org:443':
>  - The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the
>    fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
>  - The certificate hostname does not match.
>  - The certificate has expired.
> Certificate information:
>  - Hostname: u15323830.onlinehome-server.com
>  - Valid: from Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:49:24 GMT until Sat, 27 Dec 2008
> 23:49:24 GMT
>  - Issuer: Germany, DE
>  - Fingerprint:
> 2a:29:df:e3:b5:09:77:c0:b1:a5:f0:c5:a6:47:36:8d:7b:97:79:62
> (R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently?

The FluidSynth services are now running on a new server, which appears
to not have a very good certificate at the moment.  I should create one.
It would likely just be a self signed cert at this point though.

> 2. I modified the autogen script either by adding a space between "-I"
> and "/sw/share/local" or by taking out the definition
> for $ACLOCAL_FLAGS altogether in order to eliminate the error:
>  aclocal: unrecognized option -- `-I/sw/share/aclocal'

So just adding a space between the -I and path works?

> 3. Configure choked because there was no "m4" directory.

> checking for gawk... gawk
> configure: error: cannot find macro directory `m4'
>

> So I simply added this directory to the top level one to get configure
> to run to completion. "m4" remains empty throughout the whole
> compilation. Is there any particular need for this folder ?

I just made some build changes in regards to libtool, which fixed the
build on my Ubuntu system.  When building in that environment there are
some .m4 files placed by libtool in m4/.  So all you had to do was
create the directory?  I guess an empty m4 folder could be checked into
subversion or perhaps the files are also supposed to be checked in.  I
have trouble keeping up with the evolution (or devolution) of
autoconf/automake/libtool etc.

> I jsut did a brief test and external MIDI triggering via the "Virtual
> fluidsynth MIDI port" works beautifully.

Good to hear.  Thanks to Pedro for coding this up!

> (I must add that I agree with Bernat. There is absolutely no need for
> unnecessary discussion on licensing issues. Flame-baiting is totally
> inappropriate.  With all due respect to Stephane, the CoreMIDI API is
> well documented with code examples and freely available online
> <developer.apple.com/audio/pdf/coreaudio.pdf> ;
> i.e. no need to be "careful". In the spirit of true FOSS co-operation,
> Stephane very generously offered his input. Pedro and Josh very
> generously offered to implement this CoreMIDI functionality. Thanks
> again fellas.)
>

> I could do more extensive testing this weekend though judging by my
> initial experience, I do not expect any glitches.
>

> Sincerely,
> Ebrahim
>
> Greetings,

Best regards,