Re: [fluid-dev] invalid instrument/drum selection

From: jimmy
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] invalid instrument/drum selection
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:28:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi Josh,

Again, the test midi is:

   www.sternton.com/midi/xgmidi/orion_xg.mid

May I suggest a change in

   src/fluid_synty.c:  fluid_synth_program_change()

changing the two lines near the end from:

       fluid_channel_set_sfontnum(channel, sfont_id);
       fluid_channel_set_preset(channel, preset);

put an extra check that "preset" is not NULL first, to become:

    if ( preset ) {
       fluid_channel_set_sfontnum(channel, sfont_id);
       fluid_channel_set_preset(channel, preset);
    }

It would take care of the case when the preset is NULL, which is the case when
the loaded soundfonts doesn't have the prognum.

>From what I understand in XG sounds, the same prognum for different soundbanks
>are the same type of instrument.  In the simplest case, it can simply be same
>instrument with different effects.

The suggested change doesn't guarrantee the same type of instrument, just keep
the already loaded instrument in that channel.  Currently it sets the channel
to point to invalid, non-existing instrument.

Preferably, FS should try to find any soundbank with that prognum and use that
instrument instead.  Maybe you can decide what best to do here.

Thanks,

Jimmy