Re: [fluid-dev] FS2.0 proposal

From: Max Kellermann
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FS2.0 proposal
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 21:33:38 +0100

On 2009/03/02 21:20, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <address@hidden> wrote:
> His first message had some valid complains, and a false assumption
> deduced from the observation that the CLI program doesn't exit when
> a MIDI song has finished. I've tried to answer politely pointing to
> the mistake, being rewarded with something I call arrogance.

I didn't want to waste any more time with that whole issue here, but
now I'm really wondering what you're talking about, so here is exactly
what I wrote:

On 2009/02/22 17:32, Max Kellermann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2009/02/22 11:25, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <address@hidden> wrote:
> > For programs using the library, there is a function
> > fluid_player_join() that works like pthread_join() waiting until
> > the player terminates.
>
> It blocks, rendering it near to useless for me.  I would have to
> create yet another thread, only to translate between
> fluid_player_join() and a non-blocking method.

I didn't explicitly admit that my assumption was wrong (simply because
it wasn't wrong).  I was only wrong about the non-default behaviour of
the command line player.  You pointed me to a function which is only
similar to what I was looking for, but which is not appropriate for
me.

I want to *check* if fluidsynth is finished playing a MIDI file, I
don't want to *wait* for it to finish.  Please understand the
difference.

My response was purely technical, I fail to see any signs of
arrogance, insult or personal attack.  I'm not interested in any
non-technical discussion.

Max