Re: [fluid-dev] The 1.1.0 milestone

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] The 1.1.0 milestone
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:23:00 +0200

Hi,

About the future versions, I agree with keeping compatibility in 1.1, adding
new functionality while avoiding breaking existing applications. But at the
same time, keep the 2.0 door open for changes that require incompatible
changes. When functions must be added or changed, it would be sensible to use
a symbol version script for the Linux liker [1].

Features I would study for adding (in 1.1.0 or later)

- After the glib integration, add DBus interfaces exposing the commands
already available to the shell and telnet interfaces. [2]
- Documentation. I would use Doxygen after reading a bit about gtk-doc. I
would convert fluidsynth-v10-devdoc.xml (docbook) to Doxygen format, write
some missing bits and integrate it with the functions reference.
- Build system: in addition to the current autotools, include the
infrastructure to use CMake. MacOSX: build the library as a framework.
- DirectSound: integration of changes proposed by Zachary Northrup.
- MIDI player: Bugs and unimplemented functions reported by Felix Krause, and
other missing features (playlist management). Add player functions to the
commands interface.
- Review the mailing list for other proposals that I've forgotten now.

Regards,
Pedro

[1] http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.19/ld/VERSION.html
[2] http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-glib/index.html