Re: [fluid-dev] Introductions and interest in FluidSynth

From: Zachary Northrup
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Introductions and interest in FluidSynth
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:28:24 -0400

Hello everyone,

My name is Zachary Northrup and I'm a 16 year old living in New York (the state, not the city). I've been programming for about 6-7 years in the areas of (listed chronologically): web development, VB, VB/C# .NET, C++, C, robotics/embedded systems, electronics (of all kinds), and audio/music, among others. I currently manage a couple of fairly popular open source projects and have begun to enter the commercial world in the last 1-2 years. My current major project, applying specifically to FluidSynth, is Z-Maestro, a music/audio composition and mixing application, similar to the likes of Garageband and Acid, and which uses FluidSynth for synthesis.

When I first found FluidSynth about 2-3 years ago, the mailing list was fairly quiet and I had very little experience in C/C++. Now, working daily in these languages, I have a reasonably complete understanding of the Fluidsynth codebase and have created experimental modifications for personal projects.

A little while ago, I posted about one such experimental build being used in Z-Maestro, in which the DirectSound driver was modified (well, hacked) to support new_audio_driver2. I am thinking about taking a shot at finishing the implementation, in which case I'll submit a diff.

I hope to be able to help FluidSynth as much as possible. I represent an interesting use-case, developing for 99% Windows and .NET, compared to a mainly Linux crowd (as far as I can tell), so portability and ease of integration are very important to me. I can also help test building FluidSynth in MSVC and, like I mentioned before, work on the DirectSound driver.

Zachary Northrup
http://www.z-sys.org/