Re: [fluid-dev] Introductions and interest in FluidSynth

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Introductions and interest in FluidSynth
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:14:55 +0200

I'm 28 years old and live in Lund, Sweden. I've been using computers
with music since I was 12 or so, when I figured out I could make
melodies to play on the PC speaker. :-) After that it was Adlib (I even
made my own small "sequencer" to make adlib music), then Fasttracker 2,
then Cubase, and now I'm here. I visited the demo scene some years as well.

I'm a hobbyist musician and play the piano in a Gospel choir. I also
compose music, say, one song a year or so...it's not that often that
inspiration comes along these days. You can listen to it here:
http://www.diwic.se
I work as a software developer, making real-time information systems for
buses, among other things.

I'm relatively unexperienced in the Linux world, I switched my OS at
home from Windows XP to Ubuntu a year and a few months ago. (That was my
third attempt to use Linux, the first one ended in complete failure -
there was something wrong with the partition table, so Windows and Linux
ended up overwriting each other's data. Ouch.)

So, what's in FluidSynth for me? Well, first it's about ethics - giving
back to the community that has helped me, and I really hope we can solve
Ubuntu bug #1 one day. Second, it's a valuable experience to be
collaborating with other people in an open/free software project (which
is a new experience for me). Third, I like programming, and I think
audio for Linux is an area that needs improvement. FluidSynth seems to
be an important part of Linux audio, as many other program depend on it
to work correctly. And it seems like it needs a bit fixing.

I guess that sums it up. I enjoyed reading your presentations!

Have a nice day!

// David