Re: [fluid-dev] More commits

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] More commits
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:40:43 +0200

address@hidden skrev:
> Its funny how accustomed one becomes to a certain coding style.  I could
> probably manage with that style, but to me it looks a little messy
> (could be just because of what I'm used to though).  The space before
> and after parenthesis in particular looks confusing.  I used to put open
> braces on the same line as if/for/while etc statements, but then changed
> to having them on a newline, which also seems more clean to me (easier
> to match them visually).  Otherwise it looks fine (well actually, those
> are probably the only differences, besides the indent size ;)
>
> Anyone else have any opinions on the matter?

Of course I have, but it seems like I will be voted down in most of the
cases below :-)

- Spaces per identation level: don't care much about the exact amount,
and skipping tabs altogether is a good idea. I don't like to indent to
the amount of a procedure name,
because_if_you_have_a_very_long_function_name(that,
                                              will,
                                              mean,
                                              that,
                                              you,

                                              will,
                                              have,
                                              to,
                                              put,
                                              every,
                                              parameter,
                                              on, a,
                                              new line);

- Prefer having opening braces on same line (except for function bodies).
- Extra spaces before and after parentheses, don't like it.
- Extra row just for the function return type, don't like it.

I guess my motivation for "compacting" the code the less lines you use,
and the more code you can read without scrolling, which gives a better
overview.

Btw, do we have an approximately max lines per unit?

So here's my sample (go ahead and puke if you don't like it ;-) )

fluid_thread_t* new_fluid_thread(fluid_thread_func_t func, void* data,
    int detach)
{
    GThread* thread;
    GError* err = NULL;

    g_return_val_if_fail(func != NULL, NULL);

    thread = g_thread_create((GThreadFunc) func, data, detach == FALSE,
        &err);
    if (!thread) {
        FLUID_LOG(FLUID_ERR, "Failed to create the thread: %s",
            fluid_gerror_message(err));
        g_clear_error(&err);
    }
    return thread;