Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #65

From: Elimar Green
Subject: Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #65)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:50:03 -0700

Actually I take that back, about it sounding good..  It seems like
adding a MIDI mode which requires manual assignment of that value,
without proper SYSEX handling, will likely lead to many MIDI songs not
working properly (like if a user is playing multiple MIDI files which
are of different modes).  The 1.0.9 logic, should handle most MIDI
modes, in regards to bank switching.  Personally I think its a better
option at this point.  The only thing that logic doesn't do, is
properly ignore certain messages.  Messages which are unlikely to be
sent in their respective modes anyways, though I admit I'm not sure
how many MIDI files might be out there which don't follow that rule
(for example send LSB MIDI messages though they expect them to be
ignored).  I suppose you could still add the setting, but have a
special "auto" or "compatibility" mode which follows the 1.0.9 logic.
The user could then force a particular mode with that setting.

Just some thoughts.  I'll leave it up to you guys to decide ultimately
how it gets implemented.

Regards,
Elimar