Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #6

From: Elimar Green
Subject: Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #65)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 22:34:28 -0700

It seems simple enough to revert the behavior to 1.0.9 functionality.
This should work fine in most cases, as far as the whole MSB is
actually LSB when only the MSB is received.

I can understand David wanting to release ASAP, since he has been
waiting for a while to do so.  But I think the behavior of the bank
switching should be dealt with, since I see it as being pretty trivial
to fix and a significant enough of an issue.  This doesn't mean
implementing the MIDI mode setting at this time.  It simply just needs
to be reverted to the previous behavior, which means that if only the
MSB is received prior to a Program Change, then it should be
interpreted as LSB.  If both MSB and LSB are received, they should
combine to select the bank (once the Program Change is received) as
MSB * 128 + LSB.  In cases where a MIDI file or device is expecting GS
behavior, I don't think it would ever send an LSB message.  So this
logic should work in all MIDI modes.  There were no complaints about
this in 1.0.9 and previous.

Lets put off the MIDI mode switching logic, SYSEX interpretation, etc.
 The code has already been implemented and could be taken from SVN
history, but it would need to be integrated with the new code base,
tested, etc.

How does that sound?

Elimar