Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #65

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #65)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:00:27 +0200

On Wednesday, August 11, 2010, Elimar Green wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
>
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I agree that we can leave the SYSEX stuff for a future release, avoiding
> > the risk of spend too much time implementing and testing this feature. In
> > addition to your code, I've included similar functionality in kmidimon.
> >
> > I disagree with simply reverting to 1.0.9, because adding a new
> > setting "midi.bank-select" with several options is easy enough, and may
> > be needed for accurate playback of different songs. In my opinion, the
> > default should be the awe32 mode, as recommended by the appendix 1 of the
> > SF2 standard.
>
> Sounds good.  Does it make sense to have separate midi.bank-select and
> a midi.mode setting though?  Why not just make it midi.mode and then
> we can add additional functionality on to it in the future?  That was
> how it had been implemented previously in SVN.

I thought about that, and decided that I prefer two separate settings. In this
way, the current setting name (finally "synth.midi-bank-select") is a clear
hint that it doesn't try to offer anything else than the bank select mode. We
can offer later a "midi.mode" setting, with broader meaning and of course
more functionalities, that overrides the bank-select setting.

Regards,
Pedro