Re: [fluid-dev] [ANNOUNCE] FluidSynth 1.1.4 released!

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] [ANNOUNCE] FluidSynth 1.1.4 released!
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 17:27:41 +0200

On Thursday 04 August 2011, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 3:54 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
> > In short, version 1.1.4 of FluidSynth brings us:
> >
> >  * Several improvements and fixes to the CMake build system,
> >   especially for Mac OS X
> >  * Several bug fixes to the engine, notably quite a few which could
> >   cause FluidSynth to sound bad in some cases.
> >  * API additions, that make it possible to
> >   - load MIDI files from memory
> >   - to inspect/modify MIDI events as they are being played from a
> >     MIDI file
> >   - to change channels between melodic and drum mode
> >   - and to silence all notes in one command.
> >  * Improvements to the CoreAudio driver
> >
> > A more detailed list of changes is available at
> > https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/wiki/ChangeLog1_1_4
> >
> > Looking back at the changes, I'm feeling a little proud today. One of the
> > reasons for feeling proud, is that we have more than one new contributor:
> > people who have taken the step to actually work with the code, improve it,
> > and create non-trivial patches with new functionality in it. That is a good
> > foundation for the future and I hope all contributors feel welcomed and
> > properly attributed.
> >
> > Also, the improvements/fixes to the build system is worth a special note
> > (thanks Pedro!), I was surprised to see so many of them! And finally, we've
> > managed to close several long standing bugs, which makes me feel that this
> > release will be stable and enjoyable for a lot of people, with less
> > annoyances than ever. (Thanks to the jOrgan folks for the test run!)
> >
> > Now, enjoy the release, and last but not least - make sure you make some
> > really great music with it! :-)
> >
> > On behalf of the FluidSynth developer team,
> >  David Henningsson
> >

> Hi all, thanks for releasing 1.1.4. Sorry I did not have time to test
> the prerelease tarball you made the other day. I was planning to do
> this today.
>
> Anyhow, I saw in the CMakeLists.txt, a couple lines such as
>            ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/${LIB_INSTALL_DIR}${LIB_SUFFIX} )
>
> Unfortunately this is wrong. The variable ${LIB_INSTALL_DIR} is
> already expected to have the lib suffix in it, i.e. it is set to
> /usr/lib64 on multilib 64bit systems. This is the cmake standard we
> have with hundreds of packages in Fedora.

This may be the standard in Fedora, but it is not a CMake standard at all. You
can ask in the CMake mailing list, or search for similar questions in the
archives, for instance:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2011-March/043180.html

I've adopted the variable name "LIB_INSTALL_DIR" because i'm used to it in my
KDE projects, but it is not a standard outside KDE. The FluidSynth's
LIB_INSTALL_DIR is a constant defined in cmake_admin/DefaultDirs.cmake, with
the value "lib". The other variable LIB_SUFFIX is initialized in the main
CMakeLists.txt with the value "64" or empty. You can override the
initialization value of these variables in the command line, if you want:

$ cmake .. -DLIB_SUFFIX=""

This can be easily added to the RPM spec file too. I find this method much more
comfortable than applying patches.