Re: [fluid-dev] [ANNOUNCE] FluidSynth 1.1.4 released!

From: Orcan Ogetbil
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] [ANNOUNCE] FluidSynth 1.1.4 released!
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 21:52:03 -0400

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Thursday 04 August 2011, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
>> > $ cmake .. -DLIB_SUFFIX=""
>> >
>> > This can be easily added to the RPM spec file too. I find this method much
>> > more comfortable than applying patches.
>> >

>> Hi Pedro,
>>
>> Sure the behavior can be overridden that way. However, when building
>> RPMs, there are cmake macros we use that pass all the standard flags
>> to all packages that use cmake. I am sure other RPM based
>> distributions, or even DEB ones use some sort of standardization in
>> cmake flags too.
>
> Here are the options currently used in Debian to build the FluidSynth package:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-multimedia/fluidsynth.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules
>
> ( they set LIB_SUFFIX='' )
>
>> I really do believe that what I claimed is a  (maybe unwritten) cmake
>> standard,
>
> Google is your friend. Show me evidences.

Sure:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=libechonest.git;a=blob_plain;f=libechonest.spec;hb=HEAD
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=kdemultimedia.git;a=blob_plain;f=kdemultimedia.spec;hb=HEAD
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=muse.git;a=blob_plain;f=muse.spec;hb=HEAD
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=kmplayer.git;a=blob_plain;f=kmplayer.spec;hb=HEAD
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=mscore.git;a=blob_plain;f=mscore.spec;hb=HEAD
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=qsynth.git;a=blob_plain;f=qsynth.spec;hb=HEAD
http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/rpms/traverso/devel/traverso.spec?revision=1.5&root=free&view=markup

>> since we do not have to do such overrides you suggested for
>> any other package (we have a lot of them).
>
> Your LIB_INSTALL_DIR variable is defined in the "%cmake" RPM macro:
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=macros.cmake
>
>> I also adopt this
>> convention in my projects where I am the upstream. Of course,
>> fluidsynth can be a special case, but does it really have to be?
>
> You can propose/contribute a better way to do this, but please take into
> account all other Linux distros and not only Fedora. Some of them are already
> using cmake to build FluidSynth.
>
> Arch linux:
> http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/fluidsynth/trunk/PKGBUILD
>
> Gentoo:
> http://gentoo-portage.com/AJAX/Ebuild/119045/View
>
> Mandriva:
> http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/fluidsynth/current/SPECS/fluidsynth.spec?view=markup
> Mageia:
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/fluidsynth/current/SPECS/fluidsynth.spec?view=markup

Thanks. Also add to that
Fedora:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=fluidsynth.git;a=blob_plain;f=fluidsynth.spec;hb=HEAD

> Mandriva and Mageia have also a %cmake RPM macro, not conflicting with
> FluidSynth's buildsystem.

But the problem is, these are all fluidsynth-1.1.3. Things broke
between 1.1.3 and 1.1.4. I guess I am the first one complaining.

What is the best of of handling this, while keeping everyone happy?
Should we add a check on $LIB_INSTALL_DIR  in CMakeLists.txt to
prevent occurances of /usr/lib6464 and such?

Also please calm down. I am not a random person who popped up out of
nowhere. I worked with Josh in earlier versions of fluidsynth, and you
can find my contributions and patches if you still have access to the
old website. My intention is to make fluidsynth better.

Thanks,
Orcan