Re: [fluid-dev] API design: fluid_synth_process()

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] API design: fluid_synth_process()
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 03:29:00 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

>Despite the fact that this function ignores two of its arguments, I just dont know how to properly tell it which channels to map to which output buffers.

fluid_synth_process(int len, int nout, float** out) behaves like fluid_synth_nwrite_float(int len, float** left, float** right). Both functions are intended

to return synthesized buffers for a number of stereo audio channels (synth->audio_channels). fluid_synth_process() seems adapted to send audio to audio card with multiples

stereo audio channels (unlike fluid_synth_write_float(), fluid_synth_write_s16() which are only useful for only one stereo audio channel).

The internal mixer stereo audio channels buffers (from 0 to audio_channels-1) are outputed in the out array in an interleaving format:

(l_audio_chan_0, r_audio_chan_0, l_audio_chan_1, r_audio_chan_1,....). Consequently nout and out array must be set to sufficient size (nout >= 2 x synth->audio_channels).

The way a MIDI channel number is mapped to an audio channel number is done inside the fluidsynth mixer in fluid_rvoice_buffers_mix().

During fluid_rvoice_buffers_mix(), the function is instructed by the voice to select (mapping) the audio channel buffer number m to mix this voice.

In the actual version the mapping m is function of the MIDI channel of the voice:

     m= 2 x ( MIDI channel number % buf_count) with

     with buf_count = max (audio_channels, audio_groups).

Somes pictures are attached to illustrates this.

Hope the author of this API could tell more about the intended unused parameters int nin, float** in.

jjc