Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 06:34:52 +0100 (CET)

>> > If a developer believes that she/he needs to change the logger of
>> > a project she/he starts to work with - that's good sign that this
>> > developer has slightly distorted priorities.
>>
>> Well, it is a nice GSoC project IMHO.  Not that I would implement it
>> by myself...
>
> Current logging code is perfectly fine IMO, [...]

Good to hear that it satisfies you.  However, it is far from perfect,
believe me – I'm the one who mostly works on that.

>> > For instance has anyone heard anything about the logger during
>> > last years GSoC?
>>
>> The idea to add a logger library is just a few months old.
>
> I mean that even if a GSoC student working on adding some
> functionality to Freetype (and who apparently was new to Freetype)
> never complained about the logging functionality then the logging
> code is not a problem at all.

Well, as far as I can see, it's exactly as Armin described the
situation: people insert `printf' statements for debugging.  And the
final code usually missed important debugging calls...

    Werner