Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal

From: Dmitry Timoshkov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 20:45:27 +0800

<address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Well, as far as I can see, it's exactly as Armin described the
> >> situation: people insert `printf' statements for debugging.  And the
> >> final code usually missed important debugging calls...
> >
> > How does that justify adding new logging library or changing the current
> > logger code? That sounds more like current tracing statements should be
> > improved.
>
> May I ask you, Dmitry, what are your concerns with introducing an external
> logger?  Obviously, the goal is to improve the overall situation for
> everyone or (at least) keep things equally fine as they are at the moment.
> Following our discussion here, it seems to me as if changes would affect you
> negatively which should (obviously) be avoided.  Necessity aside (who cares
> if it's necessary if someone else does it (properly) and it has no negative
> effect on anyone), what are negative consequences for you personally or for
> FreeType in general and how can they be avoided/tackled/justified/eased?

There's a simple rule: don't try to fix something that is not broken.
Another consideration would be to leave the decision to people who
actually works with Freetype code, and who is used to work with existing
code base. Also, obviously there is no point in inventing new dependencies
for such a simple thing as logging. IMHO if something is going to be changed
or improved this shouldn't be an external library, and new things should be
left compatible with existing ways of usage.

--
Dmitry.