gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Homepage update

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Homepage update
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 02:48:13 +0100

Magnus Stålnacke <address@hidden>:
| Please take a look and give me some feedback.

Thank you very much, webmaster !

| There are some things that i am not happy about:
|
| Homepage:
| I am not happy with the leading paragraph of "About GCMD",
| i could not come up with anything to write.. help! Something
| about GCMD goals, intended users and so on, just a couple of
| scentences.

Perhaps add something in this spirit...:

"There's lots of bloated all-purpose-stuff, but no filemanager dedicated
to advanced users who don't need a dozen panes or weather forecast in
the sidebar, because they rather use to focus their work through special
applications; and for file management, they need exactly the core 2
panes, a smart commandline, and customizable actions."

And how about improved advertising coolness in the FEATURES:

* Full configurable GTK-2 GUI with standard mouse interactions  (come
on, drag'n&drop sounds a little silly...)

* Gnome MIME-Type management (whatever that means ;)

* Quick device access buttons with supermount compatible automagic
(sic!) mounting and unmounting.

* FTP module, SAMBA access point

* Mouse context menu with many preconfigured file operations (examples
not really necessary, what do you think?) can be extended freely by
entries calling any kind of external application, like viewers, editors
or custom scripts, to work on selected files or directories.

* Plugin API similar to GIMP (???) under development.

* Folder history and bookmarks editor

* Advanced rename tool; search, compare, and filter dialogs

* Integrated commandline

| Documentation:
| Ouch, this is one i am really unhappy with, it lacks content.

"By now only a manpage and a lose collection of notes
on specific features. But the GUI is rather self-explanatory."

| Development:
| I would like to write some more about "the team", just a
| scentence or so about each developer. There is nothing about
| nightly snapshots yet, i need links and info from Piotr first.
About the history, iut was nearly abandoned that's why
there wasn't progrss for 3 (?) years and that's rather a
new launch now.

| I have also been thinking around those text files in the
| source tree, like /doc/keys.txt. I can make a page that
| "imports" the text from cvs at the client side with an inline
| frame.
You want it show up all together, or via standard navbar/textpane ?
And do you really need a frame for that?

How about just a list of links instead?

| What do you all think about that? There are some issues
| with inline frames, but in this case i do not think it will hurt,
| most people do use modern browsers that can handle those.

Well, i need to see how it looks like before i could tell you, anyway...

ps.  Can we make it "gnome-commander development list"
<address@hidden> ...?

"GCMD devel list." <address@hidden>  that's redundant, and we
have to ask,
what kind of 'corporate identity' is this carrying ? Only people who
don't have something
to say, repeat.

   °
 /\/