gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Homepage update

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Homepage update
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:37:06 +0100

| Well?
| http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/keys.html

Works with mozilla/firefox, where elinks and dillo show only the link.
But that's ok.
I can't see anything bad with that design...there is cvs latency of course,
perhaps you can give a little message that it needs some 3 seconds (here)
where you don't see anything happening

Other notes:

_____ Frontpage HOME:

Good idea, 'read more about below'. I think then you don't need the
'information' header at all, just start with a few introducing sentences,
as is, to have a slightly shorter page.
(It's a good feeling to enter a rather short frontpage firsttime)

Could  'Latest release:' " be the top of the Latest News ?
I think that's the most important news one wants to know..
To spare people to wonder about their GTK version, can you make it 'GTK 2.6
(or Gnome 2.?)' ? You know, dull non-slackers...
Also, it should just point to the Download page, not directly to FTP server,
to spare you maintanence time. (Keep always central :)

_____ Downloads:

Well, with the long text in the navbar (right side box) i see a lot of empty
space, have to scroll down a lot to gead on. Of course, because div class .ram
can't be floating !

I propose to shift this text into the main content again, then it's also more
readable, with less linebreaks.

If you say 'Binary download' below then the counterpart should be 'source
download'.
I would start with 'Binary download' then 'Source download' then the
development
information text. Most beautiful and comfortable first :) always looking good
you know :)

________ Documentation:

I would shorten 'building from source' a lot, FAM is *not* strongly recommended
IMHO. You may consider to split the text:

- Move the stuff about build / source the  to 'Download sources' page, and
- Leave a short piece about 'gcmd and FAM issues' on the Documentation page
Like:
* FAM  management was broken in 1.1 gtk-1 version
* FAM not required for build (but what build dependency exactly ?)
* FAM usage can be disabled from GUI, then gcmd still updates itself (but not
others)
* gcmd works stable with FAM however, 1.1.7 needed some appearance fix
(that is about the endless list update repetition) -> hope it will be done in
1.2.0

______ Screenshots:
Can you include a pic of the internal viewer with a totally exciting cool photo
(made by yourself of course, how about the aurora? with IPCT and EXUIF data
visible ?
As snaphot of 1.2.0 ? Should be linked from the Internal Viewer page too.

greet, mi

ps.

Can you modify the css to indicate at which section (or 'tab')
i am ? In the top bar, you know, just the standard thing.
Perhaps make it "gnu--yellow" according to the logo  :) or lightblue for gcmd ?
(Please no font scaleup, this use to look ugly under some circumstances)

Last time i checked that, firefox didn't differ between a.link and a.visited.
pps. I use to work with page specific link design, still defined in the main
css, like
#index a         { text-decoration:none; }
#index a:link    { color:#a2d2ff; }
#index a:visited { color:#a2d2ff; }
#index a:hover   { color:#f8c0f4; }
#index a:active  { color:#05ff4e; }
#index a:focus   { color:#ffffff; }
#index .refhere  { color:#ffb640; }
then you go along with <html id=index> on the index page, and class=refhere for
the highlightened header. But i think you know that yourself...excuse if i'm
poking
into your domain :)
(It's just that HTML is one of the rare cases where i can squatter about code
too :)

And yet another one: If you fear to add more the top bar tabs because they
might get linebroken then you could always switch to shortcuts like
'Home | Shots | Downlaod | Doc | Devel' - i think that's ok for that kind of
site.
Or even textless icons with ALT text.....

   °
 /\/