gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] internal viewer features

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] internal viewer features
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:41:17 +0200

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 13:11 +0200, Magnus Stålnacke wrote:
> Micha wrote:
> >
> > - It would be really, really cool if i could jump to the next pic (in file
> > list)
> >   with spacebar, like i'm used from other apps.
> >   Maybe the selection (in the filelist pane of the main window) should move
> >   forward too, then.
>
> I think it is better to jump forward/backward in
> selection rather than the hwole dir.
>
> Or even better like this:
>
> if multiple selection made = only fw/bw in the selection.
> else if only single file = fw/bw works on the hwole dir.

IMHO we should have consistent interface with the rest of gcmd.
Currently we have for all file operations:

        * multiple file selection -> perform action for selection only
        (copy, move, etc.)
        * no selection -> operate on single file under cursor

So we can use the same scheme for the internal viewer: multiple
selection - viewing the selection only (in order as in gcmd file list
pane), and viewing single file otherwise.

>From technical point of view, the implementation is quite simple.
Currently internal viewer processes files referenced by their URI names,
we need to change it to use GList of selected files (trivial work). Such
approach will allow also for prefetching into memory next/prev files in
the list, so we can achieve very short viewing time.

The GUI can be also very similar to the gcmd's: the toolbar with
FIRST,PREV,NEXT,LAST buttons and navigating with ALT+LEFT and ALT+RIGHT
(or LEFT and RIGHT).

What about this?

Piotr