gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] internal viewer features

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] internal viewer features
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:31:28 +0200

| approach will allow also for prefetching into memory next/prev files in
| the list, so we can achieve very short viewing time.

Great idea !

However please have mercy with users.
Imagine i'm going to view my 'VERYLARGE' file folder.
And the next file is about 60 or 100MB which to open sends my machine
into nirvana for several minutes. (I download such images nonetheless,
and i guess photographers may create such large files for a customer
or printing lab). So: Can prefetching have a very low priority (or high
'nice' value) to guarantee the machine stays responsible ?
Does this really work even to interrupt the running memory process ?
(I'm not sure about this since a lrage memory operation may not
hit any kernel-priority entry (forking) point) - i hope you know better
than me what i mean here ;)
Or maybe we can configure a time limit for prefetching.

| The GUI can be also very similar to the gcmd's: the toolbar with
| FIRST,PREV,NEXT,LAST buttons and navigating with ALT+LEFT and ALT+RIGHT
| (or LEFT and RIGHT).

Also cool !

 m°cha