gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Use of GNOME authentication manager for user's secu

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Use of GNOME authentication manager for user's security credentials
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 04:51:21 +0200

Magnus:
> > I feel a security issue.

That's the trade-off.
OTOH a keyring manager will be much more secure than the previous plain text
file of gcmd.

Personally, it doesn't really matter to me if keys are in this or that file. (I
keep my own huge-grown password file anyway) The most real difference in
security would be to store them externally, say on USB stick, with no network
access. I hope keyring managers can be configured for that.

Antono:
> I think there is nothing strange in fact that GNOME-commander depends
> on some of GNOME's libs :)

I imagine that keyring managers will become more common in future, and soon
there could be alternatives to gkd, probably rising the need for compatibility
(freedesktop issue?) - so, once it works with gkd it will work for others too.