gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Use of GNOME authentication manager for user's secu

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Use of GNOME authentication manager for user's security credentials
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:52:30 +0200

> > > I can't figure out how to use it.
> > > I started the daemon manually when i wasn't in a gnome-session. I tested
> > > it with a standard gnome-session too. I can't find any 'add key' feature
> > > in gnome-keyring-manager, nor a way to contact the daemon via
> > > commandline. Both manpages are stubs, and the help has only 'Welcome!'.
> > > This is version 2.20.0.
> > > I'm not so sure if the idea is so good finally.
> > >
> > > Any hint ?
> >
> > Don't do anything with gnome-keyring-manager ;o)
> >
> > Just try to open connection with CTRL+F (or CTRL+N) in gcmd. As password
> > is not stored by gcmd anymore, GNOME authentication manager will ask you
> > for that - then entered password can be stored internally by
> > authentication manager and reused if necessary.
>
> First try:
>
> (1) Started g.k.d. as user
>
> (2) Checked a remote server where i need a password login via commandline ->
> works
>
> (3) Started gcmd and 'connect'ed to that server

Michael,

I'm not sure if I grok your settings properly...  You don't use gcmd in
GNOME window manager, do you?

First of all I'd like to verify if you have working authentication
manager (do not start g.k.d. manually!!!). Please connect to your remote
FTP server using gedit (CTRL+L - Open Location) - do you have
gnome-keyring-manager popup dialog here?

Piotr