glug-nith-discuss

[Glug-nith-discuss] Proceedings of meeting on #glug-nith on IRC over Sof

From: vivek shah
Subject: [Glug-nith-discuss] Proceedings of meeting on #glug-nith on IRC over Software Freedom Day in NIT Hamirpur
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 23:14:31 +0530

hello,
         We had a meeting in IRC in the #glug-nith channel today on
5th August at 10 p.m. to decide upon proceedings for SFD. Although a
lot of people were badly lag hit but we raised a lot of pertinent
issues and also a lot of points emerged. Here is the meeting log from
IRC. Please go through and suggest whatever is necessary.

 <=================Start Meeting========================>
<gvm> i think some can be taught in glug tutorials
<bonii> Ateendees:
 debarshi
 gvm
 divya
 bonii
 juggernaut
 agam
 khushi
 Agenda:
 Discussion pertaining to the activities on Software Freedom Day.
 Let's start.
 First of all let's talk about how many day event are we planning??
<bonii> Is it a one day event on September 15 or are we going to prolong it?
* bonii is waiting for views
<sagar> hi all
<juggernaut> all: Include Saturday, September 16th also.
<divya> bonii: that depends on the kind of events we are planning to hold
<gvm> i think its better if somebody puts all his ideas and views on
how to conduct and then we can think of improvising them:)
 after that many may get ideas also and start telling them
<juggernaut> all: Because on 15th we get only a few hours.
<bonii> gvm: Okay fine. The kind of event that we thought of planning
was based upon a discussion I had with Debarshi.
 all: I will just tell what we talked about.
<debarshi> juggernaut: You meant Sunday, September 16th?
<bonii> all: We had 2 target audiences in mind. One are those who have
never heard about FOSS. For them Windows=PC.
<juggernaut> debarshi: Ya, i was mistaken.
<bonii> all: The other is the one who know about GNU/Linux and to whom
we have to build upon the interest to learn.
 all: For the first group we can probably do an introductory lecture
and a demo about the FOSS. And for the other group we can do a
Make/GCC/GDB workshop and a Gtk/Glade workshop
--> debarshi_ (address@hidden/supporter/debarshi) has joined #glug-nith
<bonii> gvm: Now is it a bit clear??
<gvm> bonii: yeah
<divya> bonii: we have so many times tried giving introductory
lectures it hasn't been of much help so far
<bonii> divya: That is why we are splitting up.
<sagar> bonii: so whats the conclusion u came with
<bonii> sagar: I haven't come to any conclusion. That's why we have
this meeting.
 :-D
* bonii is waiting for everyone's views
<gvm> bonii: can you attract some school students, teachers and people
from degree college and enlighten them about GNU/Linux
<sagar> bonii: i mean between u and rishi
<bonii> sagar: Everyone will decide that is why we have this meet.
<gvm> can you attract some school students, teachers and people from
degree college and enlighten them about GNU/Linux
<bonii> gvm: That is something that is worth looking into but that
will require some volunteers too.
<gvm> anyone form everywhere
<agam> whar kind of events are we planning to have
<juggernaut> gvm: I don't think many people from degree college will turn up.
<bonii> debarshi: What do you think?
<gvm> hey do some fancy stuff and get some volunteers
<bonii> agam: I have already posted some events. Please scroll up and check.
<gvm> juggernaut: it doesn't matter we are just starting something
<debarshi> I think we can push "degree college" to the next batch of events.
<sagar> gvm: it is possible,and i guess we have to make a proper team
of few members then it is possible
<debarshi> It would be a good idea to consolidate within the campus
before venturing out. :-)
<bonii> sagar: It is possible but then we need to cater to our campus first.
 all: So let's fix the number of days.
 based upon the events that we fix upon
 all: So let's get down to deciding.
<gvm> but its always the same we are always trying to attract crowd in
college if we try attracting from outside people start thinking it as
a big event and may start participation in GLUG events
<divya> all: lets just stick to the college and college faculty this time around
<gvm> people=college
<debarshi> gvm: It is not about GLUG events. People always participate in them.
<sagar> bonii: i dont think we have to go for campus,apart from 1st
yrs,they know it since from long time
<debarshi> gvm: It is just that they do not consider themselves a
_part_ of the GLUG.
<gvm> debarshi: hey always people know about free software in college man
<juggernaut> all : Lets concentrate on the first years and the faculty
this time as our primary.
<gvm> we always try to make them aware of that
<bonii> all: Let me clarify a point. Software Freedom day celebrations
are supposed to be for a region. Anyone who is interested can join in
the celebrations in the nearest place where SFD is being celebrated.
<juggernaut> all: Why don't we invite the nearby engineering colleges?
* divya feels juggernaut has a nice idea
<sagar> bonii: thats what lets make just an aware in near by college
about this event
<juggernaut> bonii: There might be some people interested to come for
the events.
<debarshi> juggernaut: I agree.
<bonii> all: Let's be reasonable. We know we are a bit short on
manpower. So if we go for a lot of colleges or nearby schools that
will call for a lot of running around. let's first celebrate the first
SFD within NITH. From next years we can go for anything.
<gvm> what i think is our main goal is to concentrate on our first
years and faculty and you can always invite people from other colleges
and schools
<juggernaut> bonii: Some people already using GNU/Linux will be eager to come.
<gvm> this is my idea
* sagar feels it has a good idea
<bonii> all: As Debarshi previously said let's first consolidate the college.
<debarshi> gvm, sagar: The problem with degree college is that if we
bring them in, then we would have to work on a completely different
"type" of events.
<agam> i support u boni
<debarshi> However another engineering college would not require a
different type of events.
<gvm> debarshi: hey i am not speaking of degree college man its nay college
 *any
<juggernaut> debarshi: Exactly
<debarshi> gvm: Ok. Ok.
 juggernaut: :-)
<sagar> fine,SFD in college and from next lets plan from before
<juggernaut> bonii: As far as the manpower is concerned , lets make a
volunteer team out of the first years under some second and third
years
<bonii> all: I feel let's build up a GLUG-NITH community first.
<juggernaut> all: First year is always ready to jump into the activities.
<bonii> juggernaut: You need a GLUG-NITH community (read dedicated) to
make the First year and second year teams. I don't think we have so
many.
<juggernaut> bonii: Agreed.
 bonii: We have to be optimistic and we can hope for many first years.
<bonii> juggernaut: That is true.
 all: So let us all decide who are our target audience?
<gvm> there was no team like iste until its made so what i think is
make a team and get many people as you can it doesn't matter what they
are until they support free software
<sagar> dont force anybody
<juggernaut> bonii: Two third yearites can manage the first year volunteer team.
<bonii> gvm: Unlike ISTE we do not handout certificates. We are a
volunteer body. That might be the problem. Definition wise anyone who
uses GNU/Linux is a member.
 sagar: i agree with you.
<gvm> bonii: tell them they don't get anything man there are always some people
<bonii> gvm: That is the point.
<gvm> if you think there are none there will noone
<juggernaut> bonii: What if we plan to give certificates for the
workshop. Finances can be arranged if we keep 20 bucks entry fee for
it.
 bonii: I'll also talk to the dean, if some money can be arranged from TEQIP.
<gvm> you amy get some money from college also i think
 *may
<bonii> juggernaut, gvm: Certificates would be a lucrative offer. That
too for technical workshops. Also we can say it helps during
placements. :-D
 all: Let us first decide on the target audence.
<juggernaut> all: So, finally who are our target audience?
<bonii> all: I mean are we going to call other colleges or only
GLUG-NITH. Let's decide it
<sagar> bonii: lets put a notic and lets see how many will turn up
<sagar> b e
<debarshi> Calling an engineering college can be fine, but we have to
think of providing accomodation, etc..
<juggernaut> all: I think it is the our college + students from the
other colleges.
<debarshi> We can focus on a group of people with an inclination
towards learning technical, yet cool, stuff.
<bonii> debarshi: Okay I got some more news.
 debarshi: We have periodicals on 17th,18th,19th September.
<debarshi> We can focus on a group of people with an inclination
towards learning technical, yet cool, stuff.
 eg., people who have heard of GCC, but do not know how to do "graphics" on it
 Showing off Glade/Gtk/PyGtk to them would have a huge "its-so-cool" effect.
<divya> all: lets not target only engineering college
<debarshi> For such audience we can easily draw in crowds from places
like NIIT, etc..
<debarshi> bonii: Can dates of SFD be deferred, then?
<debarshi> divya: What do you think?
<juggernaut> bonii: Yes. Periodicals do spoil the game.
<bonii> debarshi: I think they can be postponed. I will mail the
people in SFD and ask if we can celebrate on some other time.
<debarshi> juggernaut: Can we postpone SFD to week after periodicals?
<debarshi> bonii: Ok.
<sagar> bonii: dont go for certificate man i agree with u
<bonii> sagar: That is true.
<juggernaut> debarshi: Let me check out when is the mid-semester break.
<debarshi> We can alwaus celebrate an "unofficial" SFD.
<agam> ya that can be done
 Amost of them fwill be from 2 nd year
<juggernaut> 22nd September is fair enough.
<divya> all: i think this is a better idea considering the main
audience we are focusing
<debarshi> divya: What is "a better idea"?
* debarshi got confused
<bonii> debarshi: This is a past answer of hers
 gvm: What do you think?
<gvm> bonii: yeah unofficial is better idea
<divya> debarshi: shifting the sfd celebrations
<gvm> so what is the new date?
<debarshi> gvm: I think they will decide whether to prepone or postpone.
<gvm> ha thats right
 leave the date then
<juggernaut> all: Lets prepone it.
<debarshi> divya, juggernaut: Any particular events you have in mind?
 agam, khushi: ^^^^^^^^^^^^
 gvm: ^^^^^^^^^^
<gvm> do you people think of conducting of some workshop or what?
<bonii> all: Since a lot of people are experiencing a lot of time lag
let us bring this meeting to a preliminary end. We have got a lot of
things to ponder on. We will find out with the SFD organisers if we
can prepone or postpone the SFD. We have thrown up a number of events
and some issues regarding date which we will discuss the mailing list
and once I find the dates we will have an IRC meet and without lag.
<gvm> i really don't know what happens
<bonii> all: What does everyone say to that?
 gvm: Yes we were thinking of doing a GCC/GDB/Make workshop followed
by Gtk/Glade
<sagar> ok
<gvm> bonii: shell scripting will be nice idea i think
<juggernaut> all : A lecture titled "SWARAAJ" on FOSS and Free Software.
<bonii> gvm: That is on the workshop front. We can also organise an
annual programming contest something which will be held annualy every
year on SFD.
<juggernaut> bonii: Fine.
<sagar> debarshi: postpone is better
 hello
<gvm> bonii: i think you have good knowledge in python if you have
conduct some event on scientific programming using python
<bonii> gvm, debarshi: Should we end the meet? I think people not
replying is becoming a problem. We will soon do another one. All of us
now have a lot of issues that they can think on and we can also have a
date from SFD organisers.
<gvm> *yuo can conduct
<juggernaut> gvm,bonii Thats a good idea.
<bonii> gvm: That is a nice idea. python programming contest would be nice.
 gvm: People can learn it fast too.
<gvm> see i will arrange some slides for scientific programming
 i have some links that i can give
<bonii> gvm: That would be great. :-D
<debarshi> juggernaut: Nice idea, and name. :-)
<gvm> you can use them or give the same presentations
<juggernaut> debarshi: :-D
<debarshi> It seems people in NITH are having a huge time lag in the
connection. :-(
<bonii> gvm: Thanks. :-D GPL'ed
<gvm> bonii: i will mail the links in mailing list :)
<bonii> debarshi: Yes. So let's end this meeting a bit prematurely.
 all: Okay so let's start up with some work assignments before we wind up.
 juggernaut: Will you handle Swaaraj with khushi??
<juggernaut> bonii: Okay.
<bonii> divya: You have to get down to Finances and as well work with
me, agam, sagar on the workshops and the programming contest.
 sagar: Is that fine?
<gvm> bonii: mail the details of discussion in mailing list
<bonii> agam: I hope that is fine?
 gvm: Yes, this meeting is logged. I will post the whole conversation.
 debarshi, gvm: Could you also work on the bit of the slides. gvm will
provide us with the scientific programming slides and debarshi you
could provide us the GCC/Make/GDb slides if you have them.
 sagar: You also have to work on the wiki.glug-nith.org to put up the
news of this workshop.
<gvm> bonii: i will send you some good links for that or you want me
to make some slides and send it to you
<bonii> gvm: If you send us the links what would be fine and if you
find time amd make the slides that would be great. ;-)
<gvm> bonii: don't send the whole conservation just mail what are the
conclusions i think that will be better:)
<bonii> all: We also have to work out the number of volunteers from
other years and if we can possibly call other colleges as gvm,
juggernaut suggested.
<sagar> ~[6~somwething else?
<juggernaut> bonii: I will help in making the volunteer team.
* gvm goes off to sleep
<debarshi> bonii:
http://www.ilug-cal.org/wiki/images/CU-WS-Materials.zip <-- slides
<bonii> juggernaut: That will be great.
* gvm says good night to everyone :)
<juggernaut> gvm: Goodnight :-)
<debarshi> gvm: Good night.
<bonii> gvm: Good night.
<gvm> good night
<bonii> all: Once we are final with the dates from SFD organisers we
will finally decide upon the events to put up in the wiki. Meanwhile
ponder on all these issues.
 all: So we end the meet or does anyone have anything else on their mind?
<bonii> all: Okay from people quitting I should take the cue.

Regards,
Vivek
--
Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man.
                -- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"