gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GL* strings and gpspipe

From: John Klug
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GL* strings and gpspipe
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 15:24:44 +0000

It is not pointless to do both gpspipe and gpsd, as we have potentially
multiple applications using gpsd, including ntpd.  We would prefer our
customers use gpsd, as it provides the most flexibility.  gpspipe is a stop-gap.

The simultated gps strings from gpspipe do not seem to include all the strings
written natively by the U-Blox chip when it is writing NMEA, and we are worried
about compatibility for existing customers when we add gpsd to their system.
We will try to make it easy for them to shut off gpsd and run without gpsd, but
they will lose other functionality, which they never had before anyway.

The patch for leap second for the u-blox driver and ntpd I posted some time ago
on this mailing list.

http://git.multitech.net/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/meta-mlinux.git/tree/recipes-navigation/gpsd/gpsd-3.16/0006-ubxtimelps.patch

A 3.18.1 patch should be forthcoming when we release with 3.18.1.

Thanks.