Re: [Groff] me docs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] me docs
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:34:29 +0100 (CET)

> > It seems that the following is necessary in a document to overcome all
> > these pitfalls:
> >

> >   .if !\n(.g \
> >   .  ab This document can be formatted with GNU troff only!
> >   .
> >   .do mso xxx.tmac
> >   .
> >   .do if !r some-special-register-of-xxx \
> >   .  ab This document needs the groff version of the xxx macro package.
> >

> Not sure, abortion is quite nasty ;)  A different proposal.
>
> 1) In each groff tmac define a standard register named like in the
>    C-include files, e.g. _TMAC_NAME and a internal test against
>    reloading by checking this register.

You probably missed my point.  Reloading is not the problem; it can be
easily prevented.  But using `.mso' is not sufficient if you need
special features of a macro package.

> 2) In a document, use `if groff then mso tmac file'.

We should probably introduce a similar system as provided within LaTeX
to the all major macro packages:

  \DocumentClass{<name}[<version string>]

    Werner