guix-devel

Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 07:18:45 -0500

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> If there is no longer a 'Ring' project, then let's rule this out.
>
> The current state of affair is not so black & white: It's "Jami" on the web
> page, but everything else is stilled called "Ring": the library, the
> daemon, and
> I'm unsure about the client itself.
>
> It might change in the future.

Long term, Ring as a name would disappear completely to be replaced by
Jami.  The Jami developers have so far focused on changing the bits that
were the most visible for the users, but they won't stop there.

I'd be happy to help you in packaging Jami; it's been lurking on my TODO
for far to long :-).  I could start by packaging OpenDHT, which should
be relatively straightforward (and a dependency of Jami).  What do you
think?

Maxim