guix-devel

Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 20:25:52 +0100

Hey Ludo!

Thanks for your review. My comments below.

>   • On the first screen, should “Graphical install” come first?

Done in 0cc05606ddae0ec0bf6244418571ffc1478eeb9.

>   • Should the choice of a locale come before the welcome screen?

I'm not sure about this one. I prefer to welcome the user and expose
available options directly, instead of diving directly into locale
selection.

>   • Should the keyboard layout default to “English (US)” rather than
>     “Afghani”?  Likewise for the layout variant.

Sure, done in e4be764186be7638d7d4bf0a94998d1e4fd694d4.

>   • s/Ok/OK/  :-)

Done in 23d30dcad7baaeaa0fd4a7835e69137bc3c8dfb2.

>   • For the partition encryption passphrase, we should probably ask for
>     confirmation, no?

Done in 86f86f5a8029cd4d00360d6251891486f0eca5ed.

>   • There’s a debug dialog box called “user-partitions” that pops up
>     after hitting “Ok” on the partition choice.  :-)

Removed in d1b52bdb6fb270bc5dbad54c165e781888114276.

>   • In the “Desktop environments” screen, we should we allow for no
>     desktop environments, and then (or before?) have a second screen
>     where users can choose between a headless server kind of install or
>     a lightweight-X11-desktop kind of install?

Seems like a good idea, I add it to my todo list :)

>   • At the end, after seeing the complete OS definition, I got “execlp:
>     cryptsetup: Operation not permitted” written at the top of the
>     “Congratulations” screen, and it looks like nothing was actually
>     installed (I had chosen the encrypted-root setup).  After that I
>     got:
>
>       ERROR: pty: failed to exec child /gnu/store/…-installer: Operation not
> permitted (exec_child() in src/pty.c:299)
>
>     in a loop and the VM became unusable.  Not sure what happened!

Hmm at least I can reproduce this issue, not sure what's
happening. This error does not happend when creating a disk-image and
running qemu manually. I'll try to investigate it soon.

> So what are the next steps?  IMO we should consider merging real soon
> and get people to test.  WDYT?

Sure, it would be great to merge this branch, so that we can move
forward, and hopefully have everything ready for 1.0 release.

Anyway, I plan to give a short talk about this installer and its future
at fosdem.

Sorry for my late answer,

Mathieu