guix-devel

Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 18:09:27 +0100

Hey,

>>       ERROR: pty: failed to exec child /gnu/store/…-installer: Operation not
>> permitted (exec_child() in src/pty.c:299)
>>
>>     in a loop and the VM became unusable.  Not sure what happened!
>
> Hmm at least I can reproduce this issue, not sure what's
> happening. This error does not happend when creating a disk-image and
> running qemu manually. I'll try to investigate it soon.

The problem seem to be related to cow-store on VM produced by guix
system vm. I can reproduce it on "master" by running:

guix system vm /gnu/system/install.scm and appending -drive
format=raw,file=/home/mathieu/vm-test.img to the produced script.

Then,

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
herd start cow-store /mnt

-> Every command (like ls ou mount) fails because /gnu/store does not
seem to be reachable anymore.

Is this a known issue, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mathieu