guix-devel

Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 18:31:40 +0200

Hi Mathieu,

I would prefer if we just passed "nomodeset" to the Linux kernel in the
installer image (in the installer image only) in order to disable all those
funny drivers in the first place.

Then, grub would use vesa in order to initialize graphics - which should have
seen testing for... forever... years.

We could use "set gfxmode=..." in grub in order to set a specific graphics mode.

(The Linux kernel module is called uvesafb--but it should be picked up
automatically)

(Use "vbeinfo" in the grub prompt in order to find out whether it's using VESA)

I don't think it's wise to complicate bootup when we could just use vesa.
There's nothing wrong with it as far as I know...