guix-devel

Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 09:19:01 +0200

Hello Florian,

> Not using KMScon would prevent support for the Chinese and Japanese
> language during install, would it not?

Yes and for other languages too.

> Currently there is no support because
>
> · the Chinese and Japanese locales are not added to the installer, it
>   only includes glibc-utf8-locales,
>
> · there is no translated PO file for the installer yet anyway,
>
> but otherwise it would work, would it not?

Yes, I tried to add Japanese translations into an existing PO and it
worked fine with the installer.

> However, this means in particular that
>
> · when using KMScon, the installer should change the locale that gets
>   used once it is selected,

It's done :)

> · when using mingetty, the locale should only be changed for languages
>   other than Chinese and Japanese,

When using mingetty, the logic with the patch you tested is to fallback
to a raw terminal and force a "manual" install.

> · the console font should be changed to match the locale similar to
>   console-setup on Debian.

The installer uses GNU Unifont so that most unicode characters are
covered.

Mathieu